The eyes are very complex, and there are many things that make them a fascinating part of the body. For example, did you know that it is possible for the eyes to blink five times in a single second? And, that a blink lasts 100 to 150 milliseconds on average? If you’re up for some interesting facts and trivia about the eyes and eyesight, read on.
1. Your brain is actually the one that sees and not your eyes. Your eyes simply function like a camera; they capture light and send it back to the brain. Furthermore, you see things upside down, but the brain turns the image the right way up.
2. We have two eyeballs, which enable us to compare two images and determine how far away objects are from us. This is what makes up our depth perception.
3. Eyes heal quickly. In fact, a minor corneal scratch takes only about 48 hours to repair. But of course, it’s still best to visit your eye doctor if you have had any eye injury. This is to rule out any possible danger or serious conditions.
4. Newborn babies cry, but they cannot yet produce tears. Babies normally start producing tears when they are around six weeks old. Interestingly, as we get older, we produce less tears.
5. Staring at a computer screen will not ruin your eyes. There is no proof that this can lead to permanent eye damage. However, too much screen time can make your eyes tired and dry, and potentially cause digital eye strain. Take a break every so often so that you can rest your eyes. Follow the 20-20-20 rule: Take your eyes off the screen every 20 minutes. Focus on an object that’s at least 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
Looking for an eye doctor who can offer quality and personalized eye care services? Advanced Eyecare Consultants is a local practice that you can trust. We carry out eye exams, eye disease treatment and more. Call us at (847) 438-7700, or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment. We serve customers in Vernon Hills and Gurnee, IL.